This is incredibly simple but I know few people who don’t go weak at the knees for a bit of hot chorizo. Hot olives are a newish one on me, but a newish favourite at that. They’re considerably more bewitching when warm.
Serves 6 (about 30 canapes)
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 500g/1lb 2oz piece of sweet (dulce) chorizo, cut into fat chunks
- 100ml/3½fl oz/7 tbsp fino sherry
- 150–200g/5½–7oz small pitted green olives
- pickled guindilla peppers (Spanish green chilli peppers), available in large supermarkets), cut into small pieces
- a handful of parsley, roughly chopped
1. Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan and fry the chorizo on both sides until crisp – about 2 minutes each side.
2. Add the sherry and simmer for a few minutes, until reduced by about half. Take off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
3. Put a cocktail stick through an olive, then through a slice of pickled chilli, and then through a piece of chorizo. Scatter with parsley and serve.
Recipe adapted from Do-Ahead Christmas by James Ramsden (Pavilion)