Looking for gluten-free desserts? Quite handy, then, to have a cake up your sleeve that doesn’t require any flour. This delicious and indulgent chocolate cake recipe uses ground almonds.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 150g/5½oz/generous ½ cup butter, softened
- 200g/7oz dark chocolate, broken up
- 150g/5½oz/¾ cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 150g/5½oz/generous 1½ cups ground almonds
- cocoa powder
- single (light) cream
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7.
- Line the bottom of a 20cm/8in diameter cake tin with greaseproof paper. Give the sides a little rub with butter.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. When the chocolate has fully melted, leave to cool for a minute or two.
- Meanwhile, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks. Fold in the ground almonds. Fold the cooled melted chocolate through the mixture.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Very gently fold the whites through the cake mixture. Carefully tip into the cake tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- When the cake is completely cool, run a palette knife around the edge of the cake tin, and turn out onto a plate. Dust with cocoa powder and serve with cream.
Pairing suggestion: Take your pick, though Cordon Bleu would be a winner.